Federation of Drug & Alcohol Practitioners
Substance Misuse Management in General Practice (SMMGP)

FDAP Qualifications: FDAP/Adfam Drug & Alcohol Family Worker Professional Certification

Frequently Asked Questions

This section outlines answers to a number of frequently asked questions about FDAP/Adfam Drug & Alcohol Family Worker Professional Certification scheme. If you would like further clarification on these, or any others issues, please contact us.

What is the purpose of FDAP/Adfam's Drug & Alcohol Family Worker Professional Certification?

The new FDAP/Adfam Drug & Alcohol Family Worker Professional Certification is specifically designed for practitioners working with families affected by substance misuse, after consultation with the sector, and the development of a unique role profile. It will provide practitioners with a package of benefits, including:

  • A professional competency-based certification, mapped to National Occupational Standards (NOS)
  • A role profile and a code of practice to work to
  • Ongoing support from FDAP and Adfam, including priority invites to events and an e-newsletter

How does Certification link with FDAP's NCAC Counsellor Accreditation

Counselling is a specialist profession and FDAP's view is that anyone wishing to work as a counsellor needs to be accredited as a counsellor by a reputable accrediting body. Our NCAC Counsellor Accreditation is designed to provide a similar level of professional accreditation to that offered by the British Assocation for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) while taking account of the particular specialism of counsellors working in the substance use field.

Counsellors with FDAP's NCAC Accreditation are also eligible for Accreditation as a Drug & Alcohol Family Worker Professional with an additional cost of £25 and no need for further qualifications.

How detailed does my 'workplace assessment' need to be?

Applicants do not need to produce a detailed portfolio of evidence to back up a workplace assessment of competence. We need your line manager / supervisor to assess your competence, to confirm that you are competent, and to outline the type of evidence on which their assessment is based (such as direct observation of your practice, supervision sessions, or information from appropriate third parties). We do not need them to provide us with the actual evidence on which they have based their appraisal.

See under Workplace assessment for more information.

What if I don't have the opportunity to demonstrate competence in a particular unit in my current job?

Because the requirements for different jobs vary, some people may not have the chance to demonstrate their competence in a given unit within their current position. As noted above, however, your line manager / supervisor may base their assessment of your competence in a particular unit on information from another position - such as a previous job or a temporary placement in another role.



Return to the top of the page